As the trade war continues, the fifth list of Section 301 Exclusions has been released. This list is in addition to the previous four rounds of exclusions granted.
On June 4, 2019, the United States Trade Representative released an official announcement to the Federal Register with a fifth round of exclusions to List 1 of the Section 301 tariffs on goods from China. These exclusions are effective for goods entered for consumption, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after 12:01 a.m. eastern daylight time on July 6, 2018 (when the 25% duties were first applied). Therefore, the exclusion will be retroactive and remain in place for one year after the date of publication in the Federal Register of the exclusion determination (June 4, 2020). These exclusions are in addition to those granted in Round 1, Round 2, Round 3, Round 4, and Round 6.
These Section 301 exclusions must be claimed using the new HTSUS subheading 9903.88.10. And are available for any product that fits the product description regardless of if the importer was the one to file the exclusion.
What is Included in the Section 301 Exclusions for List 1 Round 5?
List 5 exclusions cover one HTSUS subheading and 88 specially prepared product descriptions. They reflect 464 requests. The following are the HTSUS specified in the announcement:
- HTSUS 8537.10.8000 (touch-sensitive data input devices (touch screens) without display capabilities)
- parts of non-aircraft gas turbines (HTSUS 8411.99.9085)
- oil well and oil field crank-balanced, long-stroke, and beam pumps (HTSUS 8413.50.0010)
- radial piston hydraulic fluid pumps (HTSUS 8413.50.0070)
- submersible pumps, centrifugal pumps, and sump pumps (HTSUS 8413.70.2004)
- non-submersible centrifugal pumps (HTSUS 8413.70.2005)
- centrifugal pumps designed for eliminating condensate (HTSUS 8413.70.2090)
- water pump housings and impellers (HTSUS 8413.91.9010)
- hydraulic pump positioning piston assemblies and plastic reservoirs for motor vehicle brake master cylinders (HTSUS 8413.91.9060)
- air-end assemblies, inlet guide vanes, air-ends, compressor baseplates, and backplates (HTSUS 8414.90.4190)
- stand-alone icemaking machines (HTSUS 8418.69.0110)
- non-compressor coolers and assemblies of thermo-electric modules (HTSUS 8418.69.0180)
- solar water heaters (HTSUS 8419.19.0040)
- distillation and rectifying equipment (HTSUS 8419.40.0080)
- heat exchanger plates, cores, finned tubes, cones, shells, bonnets, flanges, and baffles (HTSUS 8419.90.3000)
- cast steel and steel structural forms designed for use in filtering machines (HTSUS 8421.99.0080)
- steel and cast steel parts of air filtering machines or apparatus (HTSUS 8421.99.0080)
- self-propelled forklift and platform trucks (HTSUS 8427.10.8090)
- garage door opener/closers, hinged steel transfer machinery, rotating benches, and rotating fork machines (HTSUS 8428.90.0290)
- vibratory, self-propelled tamping machines, each with drum roller (HTSUS 8429.40.0020)
- new, track-mounted hydraulic backhoes or hydraulic shovels (HTSUS 8429.52.1010)
- pile drivers, diesel powered (HTSUS 8430.10.0000)
- conveyor belt parts (HTSUS 8431.39.0010)
- feed pushers, bale forks, scrapers, and frames therefor (HTSUS 8431.49.9010)
- rolling mills (HTSUS 8455.22.0000)
- double row ball bearings (HTSUS 8482.10.5060)
- needle roller bearings (HTSUS 8482.40.0000)
- outer bearing rings (HTSUS 8482.99.0500)
- bearing shields (HTSUS 8482.99.6595)
- coupling covers, including center members, flanged hubs, sleeves, and shoes (HTSUS 8483.90.8010)
- AC multi-phase motors fitted with pulleys and brakes to raise and lower passenger elevators (HTSUS 8501.53.8040)
- speed drive controllers for electric motors (HTSUS 8504.40.4000)
- printed circuit assemblies for telecommunication apparatus (HTSUS 8504.90.6500)
- radio transceivers for installation in motor vehicles (HTSUS 8525.60.1050)
- antennas of base metal and fiberglass (HTSUS 8529.10.4040)
- projector parts (HTSUS 8529.90.9900)
- electromechanical relays other than automotive flashers (HTSUS 8536.41.0050)
- push-button switches (HTSUS 8536.50.9035)
- push-pull switches (HTSUS 8536.50.9065)
- bullet connectors, butt connectors, closed-end butt connectors, crimp connectors, insulated tab electrical connectors, tab receptacle electrical connectors, junction blocks, lug connectors, ring connectors, spade connectors, spring clip (alligator clip) terminals, terminal blocks, and wiretap connectors (HTSUS 8536.90.4000)
- magnesium anodes (HTSUS 8543.30.9040)
- disposable brain monitoring sensor patches, stainless steel subdermal needle electrodes, and surface electrodes (HTSUS 9018.19.9560)
- machines for testing the hardness of metals (HTSUS 9024.10.0000)
To see a full list of the HTSUS codes from List 1 that have been granted an exclusion in the first three rounds, view this PDF from Trade Risk Guaranty.
But don’t let the trade war ruin your summer, see our guide of things to do instead of worrying about tariffs.
Update yourself on the Trade War with China in our new Webinar.